Sunday, January 8, 2012

Ears Ears Ears

What's that you say?  Yeah, I'm talking about ears.  My little boy's ears to be exact.  He's been so miserable these past 6ish months with ear infection after ear infection and I just can't stand to have him go through it anymore.  I felt like every time we went to the doctor, he was put on yet another antibiotic and after his 5th ear infection, I said enough is enough. 

I took him to the ENT for a consult and the doctor looked in his ears and said yup, there's fluid in there and it's a cream colored fluid which isn't good.  He sent us for a hearing test and sure enough, Adam's hearing was being harmed by that fluid.  So, with that said, doc said Adam was a good candidate for tubes and we have it scheduled for Jan 17th. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather not get tubes in his ears, the thought of my little baby going through surgery makes me sick to my stomach, but I suppose if it's better for him in the long run and it's better for his hearing and speech, then it's what we should do.

We tried the chiropractor, but it was a bust in the ear infection department.  I wish it would have worked, however; I am at peace with this decision.  My husband and I both agree that this is the next step for Adam and we've heard great things about how tubes have worked for so many other families.

Now I know what you're probably thinking, they don't help everyone and yes, I understand that.  But if there is a chance that it will help my little man, well then by gosh I'm going to do it.  Sometimes ear infections can lead to hearing problems, which it has for for Adam, well if it's not caught early enough, it can lead to speech problems and I definitely don't want him to have problems speaking because we neglected to find a remedy sooner.

What about your kids?  Any of them have tubes?  If so, I want to hear the good, the bad and the ulgy because I'd rather be prepared than blindsided!

2 comments:

Leslie G said...

I've read a few blogs of moms with little ones with the same ear problems- tubes are usually the remedy! Good luck, I bet he will feel so much better!

Kristen said...

girl, tubes will be your best friend! Both of my boys have had them, my oldest is 8 and he had them 3 times. My youngest is 3 and he's had them done twice so far. It's scary knowing your child will have surgery but it is such a blessing for the kids, they will feel so much better and you'll see huge changes with their development! My 3yr old didn't ever really talk until his 2nd set of tubes!