My Grandfather is not doing well. He has been leaving us for awhile now, but it's time he meets up with my dear Grandmother, whom I never had the oppourtunity to meet.
He is on Hospice and has been receiving medication to ease the pain and has since needed to be put on oxygen. His five living children have been spending a lot of time with him the last few days, as they thought he wouldn't make it through the night last night.
He has lived a long, great life. He fought in WW2, Played for a minor league baseball team (that won the championship in 1955!), got married to my grandmother, had seven children, lost my Grandmother to cancer in 1980, then lost one of his daughters to cancer in 1989, got to see 13 grandchildren grow up (most of whom are married and have had children of their own), lost his Lady Friend of 20 years to Alzheimer's, bowled, fished, danced, and lived 88 wonderful years. He has said that he has had a good life and he has been blessed.
They say he must have a strong heart, because everything else is shutting down, except that. So please keep my dear Grandfather in your thoughts and prayers this Thanksgiving week.
Edit: It saddens me to share this, but my Grandpa was taken by God today sometime around noon to be with my Grandma. I know that they are both looking down upon us all and that he is in a much better place now.
Here are pictures from the last few years to celebrate his life.
Grandpa with my Dad and us on our Wedding Day
My brother and Grandpa
Some of my cousins, my uncle and our Grandpa
Grandpa, doing what he does best... Dancing with my Aunt Patti.
Grandpa with some of the cousins and second cousins in 2006.
Unfortunately, those are the only pictures I have on my computer..... We love you Grandpa.


5 comments:
What a beautiful tribute. I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandpa.
Wonderful post. I'm so glad you're trying to see the positive...it's so easy to be selfish! Thinking of you during this hard time. Thank goodness for family to lead on!
Sorry to hear this, but how wonderful for him to be with your Grandma again!
Kayla, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandpa. Sending you and your family some love!
What a nice tribute dear. He looks like a cutie! I love when grandpas dance. = )
Post a Comment