Friday, April 8, 2011

Trying something new

I recently read a post from Lucy about gardening and it got me inspired!  I would love to start a garden but have no experience in that area.  Any suggestions for starting and growing a garden?  We already have an area that use to be a garden that I could use, I would just have to till it up. 

I would love to grow the following: 
-Strawberry's
-Lettuce
-Potato's
-Onions
-Tomatoes
-Peppers
-any other suggestions?

Should I not tackle any of the above list as a first time gardener?   Should I be looking into growing any other fruits or veggies?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  You guys are always a wealth of knowledge and I have learned so much from you all already!  Thanks in advance!

3 comments:

Kristen said...

if you learn anything share the tips! I'm going to start a garden this year too, I'm also a first timer.... good luck!

Taryn said...

They look like good choices to me- I tried and failed at potatoes last year- but you might have better luck. And strawberries are fun- but they really don't produce that many berry per plant. I do tomatoes and peppers mostly because they give me the cost benefit. You can't buy good tomatoes at the store, and peppers are expensive, while I feel you can buy cheap onions and potatoes at the store, you know? I would like to try lettuce, but I can never get mine to grow past the seedling stage.
I also grow a pumpkin (b/c it is fun to carve a pumpkin you grew all summer) and zucchini plants. While zucchini are cheap at the store, zucchini plants are prolific and give so much fruit for little effort. I am also going to try for cucumbers this year so I can make pickles. We'll see how it goes! Good luck to you.

Lucy Marie said...

All good choices! Taryn is right - srawberries don't produce much - the first year especially (unless you buy plants that are already mature and transport them). Let me know if you have any questions!