Friday, May 1, 2009

Directors.....

I work for a non-profit agency, which I love. My degree is in Criminal Justice, which doesn't exactly fit non-profit, but I'm going back for my masters in School Counseling.... So I guess it fits for now! Anyway! We recently got a new director that is uh.... MAZING! She's great. She's been around non-profit for sometime now, knows the ropes, knows the people and knows what she is doing.... This post isn't about her, unfortunately! This post is about our former director!

I want to give you a glimpse into what we had to deal with for 5 months until he called it quits...

Some of the things about him:

1. He once told us he spent a weekend watching 40 episodes of Andy Griffith while ironing 70 shirts...

2. Friday's was jean day.... He would come to work in a 3 piece suite... Then proceed to tell us he loves denim. He owns a denim shirt, hat, flask?, tie, etc...

3. The first thing he would do in the morning would be to straighten all of our blinds in or office... Because... "We don't want someone from the outside looking in, seeing the uneven blinds and thinking, wow, I guess that's the kind of office they run.....)

4. He checked our e-mail (you need to know, the person in this position, should not have enough time to sit in the office, they need to be out getting to know people & fundraising for us)

5. We were no longer allowed to get the mail, that was his job

6. He told us he was a police officer for 26 years (though we found out he was actually working as an administrative assistance in a police office...)

7. This man never left his office or met with one of us w/o putting his suit jacket on

8. My 2nd day on the job, he came in, sat next to my desk and proceeded to clip his finger nails!!

9. He lied to everyone about everything (Including important school administration that we work closely with)

10. He expected us to know more than he did, though he was the director

11. He freaked out at my office mate and I (threw, what I would call, a child's temper tantrum) because we rearranged our office after being told we could... He suggested that if we had told him, he could have had 3 strong guys there to do the work... (Because we were incompetent??? obviously, we got the job done ourselves)

12. This man lied to our bored about what we were doing, made policies that said we could not use our work e-mail for personal use... Ok fine, but we find out that the only thing he did while he was here besides make these weird policies was e-mail people about personal things... He deleted all of his incoming mail, but forgot to delete all of his outgoing mail.....

13. He changed his name, no, not legually..... But everyone was forced to call him by this new name...

14. He developed his own "fire department"...... Had a sign on his garage and everything. He thought it was "cool"

15. He proudly told us that he owns over 700 pieces of fire equipment, because he collects it... (we're thinking he was a fire-fighter who was regjected when he applied)

So, all in all, this is a very odd gentelman! We were all looking for new jobs at the time, because we were tired of dealing with his crap.... This is just a small idea of what we dealt with on a daily basis...... It was tortue....

How about you, did you ever have any crazy boss or co-workers? Or do you still? Do tell, please! :-)

2 comments:

Taryn said...

Oh my goodness gracious! I am so sorry about the old boss! That is awful. I have never really had a real job before . . . so yeah. Soon though I will enter the world of adults!

Kayla said...

Haha, that's ok! No worries, everything is better now... I just figured I would share his weird tendency's! He was a very odd man, to say the least! haha, well good luck in the world of adults.... Sometimes it's great, other times its not all it's cracked up to be! lol :-)