Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Lasik

Have any of you had LASIK eye surgery? I'm thinking very heavily about it these days.... I cannot seem to find contacts that are comfortable all of the time. Granted, I cannot feel them most days, but one out of 20 days when they hurt, it makes me think all over about LASIK and how wonderful it would be to wake up and see everything right away.

My vision isn't that bad, I think I'm a -2.25..... So yeah, it's not bad... But it's bad enough to consider the alternatives.... Never (hopefully) having to buy contacts again, worry about losing a contact in the pool, worry because I'm on my last contact, worry about changing them every 14 days...... O, the benefits defiantly outweigh the negatives of it.

Until....... I realize that you are completely awake staring up watching them laser your eye!!! You are numb, but you can see everything, until of course they laser your eye (which you can't feel) and then they fix whatever they have to fix (while you are completely blind in that eye, mind you...) and then they laser it back and it only takes about 1-2 minutes per eye... (run on sentence, I know... But I had a lot to say)

So, today is one of those days where my contacts are totally killing me and today is the day that I scheduled my consult appointment with the eye doctor for July 17th.... Yes, it's about 2 months away, but it was the first appointment I could get in. I have class the entire month of June in a city about 3 hours away, so that wasn't an option and I have to have my contacts out for 7 days prior to the exam, and I hate wearing glasses. So I picked the week that wouldn't interfere with any summer plans.

What are your thoughts on LASIK? I'm still nervous as can be, but I'm trying to think positively. Who's had it, wants it, or wouldn't dare get it? and Why??

3 comments:

Risa said...

You live in the Midwest right? I'm in Omaha and my hub went to get lasik 2 yrs ago almost and he's NEVER regretted it. He was always looking stoned because his eyes were so irritated. If you want some info you can always email me risa_cheer@yahoo.com. I watched it and it was really fast. He said it wasn't that bad just sort of felt irritated after--and he's a big drama queen :-)

Shaina said...

My advice - go for it! I got Lasik in 2005 and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. My eyesight was terrible: -9.75 and -10.25. Really really bad!!!! And now I can see! It is extremely fast, although - I won't lie, I was super duper scared. Thankfully, it's over in no time...and the drugs they give you to relax kick in for a great nap afterwards! :)

Meredith said...

There is no way in HELL. I have a terrible eye phobia, and there's no way I could do that without being fully knocked out--I can hardly go to the freaking eye doctor without being drugged!