I need your help! What are your suggestions on all things babies?
I'm talking:
carseat
stroller
jogger
cloth dipers
bottles
baby wearing slings
Everything!
I'm new at all of this and I'd love to hear your favorites and not so favorites.
This truly is, the great life!
10 comments:
I don't have "fancy" things-but I have things that work. One of the best things for ME was getting the "metro-lite" version of a graco stroller/travel system (with the baby seat for your car, etc). They are all heavy enough as it is...but the lite version is a little more compact and manageable...
as for diapers--cannot give you any suggestions on cloth diapers as I can't imagine scraping poop off of diapers on top of the other 923082 things you have to do daily, so my suggestion is: pampers. Haha. But, you gotta do what you can!
I hear good things about the moby wrap...I dont have one, but it keeps the baby upright which is better for their breathing,etc--as other slings got recalled (even though I still use it).
Are you nursing or no? Even if you are, you'll need bottles if you choose to pump at all (and later on for when you want to use formula). I prefer Avent brand. I have about 6 bottles in the 4oz size, and about 6 or so in the 9oz. I haven't touched the 9oz YET..but I will later one when she starts drinking more.
Email me if you need anything...
I have all of these same questions. So far, I purchased the Graco FlipIt travel system ... but I can't really vouche for how good it is since, well, you know ... it's still in the box. I'm learning right along with you, friend.
I dont know what to think about the new 30+ pound infant seat. Ayden grew out of his infant carrier by 7 months. That was ok because it was hard from me to carry him in the seat so adding 6 more pounds...I dont know but you could get more use out of it! We then found a convertable seat that he will be in until he is 100 lbs! But the infant carrier is so handy when they are little so definally get one I just don't know if its important to buy one that can be used longer... Sorry not a ton of advice.
We got the baby trend travel system that comes with a jogger stroller and LOVE it! I don't jog much but it is so much nicer and sterdier than a lot of the graco and evenflo strollers! I would recomend it!!! We walk alot and it has been great! The only problem is it can be a hassle to get the in trunk but it does fit just a little tight :)
We used the playtex bottles with the liners until I started formula because then it was a little more pricey to buy the liners so then we switched between them and the playtex airflow wide bottles. They used the same nipples and they came completely apart top and bottom so I felt like I could really get them clean! I watched a girl that used the Dr. Brown bottles and I would not recomend those. They are highly rated but hard to clean! To many small areas you need to clean out every time every bottle. I was never completely sure if I got them clean...
We used disposable diapers and are very happy with that choice. We used pampers forever and will use swaddlers again for the newborn stage of blowouts! but now that he is older I switched to the target brand. Once you get past the obnoxious dot print they work as well as the pampers baby dry diapers at $0.16 a diaper vs $0.21 a diaper! They even work at night and Ayden sleeps 12 hours at night!
Lastly if you use formula at all I used the walmart brand. It is 11.88 a can!! It compares to simalac and enfamil on the can and have the same things in it when the other ones are $25 a can! A can lasts a week!!! You can save a lot of money and I felt like it was just as good! I would recommend breastfeeding as long as you feel comfortable. It is the best for baby and becomes so easy after awhile once you and baby get used to it! I breast fed for 6 months but then got put on medicine that I couldn't breast feed with...
And I read the book babywise and would totally recommend it! It helped Ayden really figure out his nights! He has always been a good sleeper but was sleeping 6-7 hour streaches by 6 weeks!!! It just really taught me how and when to feed him and how to get him on a schedule...and you can make the schedule what works for your family! The main focus of the book is how to welcome your baby into your family not how to center your family around the baby!
I hope that helps!
okay you are going to get a ton of advice, some good and some bad. I know one thing that is bad, don't read the book Baby Wise, it has been linked to failure to thrive in babies because instead of feeding on demand, you feed them on a schedule. Not all babies fit in this schedule. My daughter is almost 6 months and eats every 2ish hours and it works for us! I breastfeed her on demand and she set her own schedule. (did the same thing with my son who is 20 months)
Carseats- Graco and Chicco are the 2 great brands out there. Skip the Evenflow: the handle must be down AND have 1.5 inches of clearance between the handle and the front seat. I have to big vehicles (Dodge Durango and a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan) and it doens't fit in either of them.
Slings- I use my www.sleepingbaby.net ringsling daily as well as www.sugarsweetbaby.com wrap :) (also use an Ergo now that she's getting bigger)
bottles- I breastfeed on demand, Lilly has had 2 bottles in her life and she refused about 15 kinds. Landyn liked the Playtex drop ins. it really depends on the baby.
hope that helps!
This is my personal opinion, but don't go fancy on everything. Many of the things that cost more aren't any better than the ones that cost less and some things you use for such a short time it isn't worth spending the big money on.
As far as diapers, I would love to try cloth diapers with our next baby. (I'm trying to be environmentally friendly!) There are diaper businesses popping up all over that will clean and deliver all that you need. All you have to do is drop the dirty diaper into the pail. For disposable diapers we had to use different diapers for the girls. The WalMart brand worked wonderfully for for Ellie but did not work for Lily. For Lily we tried several brands and the ones that fit her best were Luvs.
Hey Kayla, just stumbled upon your blog. Love it! It's Robyn by the way.
We used the Baby Trend brand car seat/stroller combo. I loved it, we still use the stroller and it works super. More car seats are able to carry more weight now, but at the time it was the only one that went to 32 lbs., not that it mattered because we switched over to a convertible car seat (which goes to 100lb., definitely worth the money, last car seat we will have to buy) at about 10 months, and Parker still isn't even close to 32 lbs at 2 yrs.! HA! I can't imagine you having a big baby either. Also, whatever brand you do go with, get 2 bases, we didn't get an extra one for Mike's car at first but 2 weeks after having him, we bought another one. Definitely worth the extra $30.
For diapers we have only and still only use Pampers, some say store brands work the same and we tried but I swear boys pee different and he soaked thru them. Extra money on diapers equals less changing wet outfits and wet diapers every hr.
I breastfed but never had a chance to pump, so we used Dr. Brown bottles, he never had a problem. He was diagnosed with reflux at 6 wks and was also really gassy. We switched over to special formula and those bottles and he started sleeping thru the night. Also, we bought our formula at Sam's Club. The cheapest out there. There are new bottles called Tommee Tippee only sold at Babies R Us and they are supposed to be awesome, closest to a mother's nipple.
I used a sling for the first 3 months, and loved it. Then it got recalled a couple of months ago. I also had the baby bjorn carrier and would suggest just using that over a sling. It's pricier than most but your baby can face forward or outwards and lasts longer than a sling and a whole lot safer. After reading the risks about slings, I would stick with a carrier, but some slings are still safe so you just have to do your research for which ones are. Also, Mike had no problem carrying Parker in the bjorn but he wouldn't dare carry him in the sling.
I know it's not something you asked about but, I would definitely recommend the Itzbeen. We used a notepad for the first month that Parker was born. We wrote down every time he ate, slept, pee'd and pooped. Seems a bit excessive but after a month we started to see a pattern and we could plan around his schedule. Also, when you are sleep deprived and you don't want your husband to wake you asking you if he needs to be fed, changed, or just rocked, he can just look at the notebook and see for himself. Trust me, every minute counts (for sleep). The Itzbeen does all of that but digital. Other wise the notebook worked for us.
Also, we have a store called Once upon a Child. It's a consignment store, you can always find good deals there. Since we lived out of town from our parents (like you) we bought an extra swing and bouncy and pack-n-play to keep at their house. Less things to travel with. You will already be taking the whole house. Also, craigslist usually has good deals too. I just wouldn't buy a crib or car seat any where other than brand new from a store.
Also, every baby, mommy and daddy is different. You will figure out what works for you and your family. Trust your instinct.
Well I'm sure you know my horrible experiences with breast feeding, but I think everyone should try it! If it doesn't work out or you plan to switch to bottles, I think it is more about the nipples than the bottle itself. I had so many I would have to end up going out and buying separate nipples that worked because they would always be too fast or slow. The only kind I've had luck with that has the perfect flow nipples has been my NUK orthodontic bottles. They are AWESOME.
I hate the thought of cloth diapers. I know a lot of people use them to be more environmentally friendly, but I totally agree with Katie, it is just one more thing you will have to do amongst a million other things and its totally not necessary. The only time I would suggest it, is if you were planning to be a stay at home mom. We have used about every diaper brand in the book and it's never made one bit of difference on our babies butts! :) BUT I do have friends who say they specifically favor certain brands over others because of several reasons. The only thing I really had a preference about is if they had stretchy tabs, soooo much nicer. My faves are Huggies but they are a lot more expensive. We only get them because we get coupons in the mail all the time. Otherwise we have stuck with either Wal-Mart or Target brand and they are perfectly fine.
We got a Graco traveling system and have always loved it.
I never got into using the slings so I am not much help there. A friend of mine let me borrow hers once when Ethan was a baby and it KILLED my back like no other! And I never wanted to try one since. It could be because it wasn't the best kind though.
Sleep when the baby sleeps!! It is super hard because you want to get stuff done when they are asleep, but it is the best thing you can do for yourself. And the happier mommy is, the happier baby is. :)
Hi, I'm Rachael :) I've been following your blog for a few weeks and finally just had to comment!
I am almost 30 weeks pregnant and have all the same questions you do! I am employed as a medical researcher but lately have spent hours and hours reading reviews and health concerns of every baby product I come across. It's ridiculous (pathetic)!
A few things you may want to check out on your own that I have noticed:
1. I hear pampers are the very best, but I also hear they are changing all their diapers over to something called "dry-max" and some babies are getting a chemical burn from it. Scary! At first I thought mothers may be over reacting but I'm not sure anymore. So I am also at a loss when it comes to diapering.
2. Baby carriers- I joined a group on cafemom.com that is just for baby wearing and have read tons of first hand accounts. One thing these ladies are adamant about is that the Baby Bjorn isn't good for a babies spine and the area they rest upon is too narrow. I had never heard this before, but thought it was worth checking into. Who knows what the truth is but in the end I bought a Moby Wrap. They are $40 and there are tons of videos online that help you learn how to use them, I have been practicing. I also have a ring sling for when he's a bit older and can control his neck. But the ring sings are said to be harder on the mothers back because all the weight rests on one shoulder. Great for quick trips to the store though!
3. The thing I researched most was car seats. I was all about the graco but wanted the 32lb one so it would last longer. The thing barely fit in my car! So if you have a small car (I have a honda civic) I saw a lot of recommendations for the Combi Coccoro. It's not a baby carrier it's a convertible car seat. 5lbs up to 30lbs rear facing and 40lbs front facing. My recommendation is going to Babies R Us and trying different ones out in your car, they'll help you if you ask. But as someone stated Graco/Chicco tend to be the most purchased and highly rated affordable carriers.
I probably look so crazy going on and on, I just know how intimidating all the decision making has been for me. My best advice is hear everything people say and then do your own research as well. It will pay off!
Oh let the advice train begin! As a mom of two I have been through the ropes a bit with a lot of these things.
Just found your blog so I don't know you but thought I would offer up my two-cents worth!
If you are a runner and being able to run as early as you can is important to you (I could barely wait the required six weeks!) then you MUST look into a Phil and Teds jogger. They have infant reclining options so that the baby can be more protected and can be in a jogger much earlier than most.
2. I disagree with all the comments on cloth diapers. Gdiapers are a great brand, been recommended to me by a lot of people and I am actually starting that journey myself. Yes it will take a little bit more time and energy than disposable but the fact that there are CHEMICALS touching the most sensitive part of your child is just NOT okay with me anymore. I will take the extra work to protect my child and help the environment any day.
3. Glass bottles are the way to go. We used the plastic Avent with my first but have switched to glass for our second and they are so great. Again, I just love that I KNOW there is nothing leaching into the food I am feeding my little girl.
Good luck with all the decisions!
Hey Kayla. Have you read Baby Bargains? It was great for me in terms of knowing when to invest the big money, and when to go with generic or store brands.
I hear a lot of people say that the travel systems are too bulky, but we love ours (Graco Passage in Lowery). The stroller opens and closes with one hand! My biggest suggestion is to actually play with a few in the store and see what feels like it would work the best for you guys.
As far as slings go, I made a Moby early on. I also have a sling, which DD loves now, but I didn't feel comfortable using until recently when she can sit up on her own. I also have a Snuggli type carrier, which I love.
In all though, I think my biggest recommendations are (1) Angelcare Monitor and (2) some sort of sleep machine/ the Fisher Price Seahorse
Post a Comment