Meredith over at La Buena Vida does a Burning question of the day and I've decided to participate this week!
Her question:
Think back 5 years ago from today. October 16, 2004. What was going on in your life? Where were you working and living? Where did you think you were going in life? Is it where you've ended up?
Let's see... 5 years is a long time for my memory! haha I was in my 2nd year of College and dating someone (not my beloved Hubby). October 16th, 2004 was a Saturday, I'm assuming I was watching some sort of football at the time or doing something with my family. Anyway, I was majoring in Criminal Justice at Loras College in Dubuque, IA. I thought I had everything figured out, I was doing well in school, dating a police officer and having the time of my life (or so I thought). Anyway, said boyfriend ended up breaking my heart a few months later, (at the time, but I got over it) and on with my life I went. It was quite some time before I dated again, which was a good thing. Guys were nothing but trouble at that point.
Anyway, back to October of 04, my plans were to graduate in May 07 and become a Juvenile Probation officer. Little did I know it would be a hard position to break into. I was very close to my family and thought that going out every weekend was the "coolest thing ever". I had a few close friends (whom I still have today) and a few who feel by the wayside as the years went on. I was a young 19 at the time and thought that it was the life. I owned my own house, had a roommate to help pay my mortgage (smart girl here! haha) and loved every minute of it. I don't think anything spectacular happened that October, but it was fun to be young and carefree. I think I was working very little (maybe 10-12 hours a week), so my only concern was school and having fun.
O, to go back to those days every once in awhile.... Ha just kidding, I love my life now more than I ever have before. Apparently, what I thought I had figured out, ended up being completely different than my life is now. I am pursuing my masters in School Counseling, married to the love of my life (whom I met 2 years later on October 4, 2006), living away from my hometown (though we hope to move back in a year or so) and loving every second of my life, in the here and now. I know that all of my choices from way back when have helped to lead me to where I am now. I think about those college days and realize that I wouldn't go back there for a second because even though life is harder now and there's more responsibility, I love where I am and I cannot wait to see where our lives are taken next.
Friday, October 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
So fun!! I was in college too! :)
Wow. Crazy to look back on those days.
You owned your own house when you were in your second year of college?!
I think I was pregnant and pretty much lying in bed watching The OC miserable! xoxo
SC
Post a Comment