Thursday, April 1, 2010

Alma Mater

My good ol Alma Mater sent me a postcard today.  I've seen said postcard several times in the past month or so and figured I should give the Alumni Association a call.  Apparently, they are updating our "Alumni Publication" that is said to go out next year.  They "said" they update this information every 10 years and needed to update my information so that my "alumni friends" could contact me.

Now, don't get me wrong.  I'm all about staying in contact with your classmates, to an extent. BUT with things such as Facebook, Twitter, etc... One knows just about anything and everything they want to know about anyone who has the desire to use social networking sites.  I'm sure people who graduated from my Alma Mater in 1960 have no desire to know that I graduated in 2007.

So, hook line and sinker... I called, updated my info and then was asked if I wanted my copy in cd-rom format or hardback book format.  Because the hardback book format could be placed on a coffee table and is excellent conversation starters (as if I need conversation starters for people who are sitting in my living room).  ANYWAY, silly me figured she wasn't stupid enough forgot to mention the price of this "conversation starter".  So, I asked.  She responded very cheerfully "well both copies are excellent choices and are just two easy payments of $49.95."  Come again??  $100 freaking dollars for a book with a bunch of people whom I'll probably never speak with ever again? O, and just in case I wasn't aware, this book includes 27000 people.  Because I have nothing better to do with $100 than to look at people who I don't know.  (I apologize to anyone who has one of these books).  I digress.....

So, upon telling her that no, I'm not interested at this time, I was reminded that in fact, copies are only made to order and I can get a special edition made just for me with my class, the two classes below me and the two classes above me.  "How would you like to pay for that?"  Um.... honey, I did NOT say I wanted to purchase it.  In fact, I sad no.  "Well, how about a copy for $20.00 less that doesn't include.... blah blah blah I stopped listening).  Once I said no, I thought she was finally finished talking when she offered me one last option to buy.

Ahhh it's my fault... I called, what can I say.

Hope you didn't waste part of your evening speaking to a woman about a damn book! :-)

Happy Friday to me Thursday to you all!!

4 comments:

5th Belle Avenue said...

Thank you for your sweet comment! I love having a network of sweet women to share life with, it's so fun! I definitely will keep you posted, thanks for keeping up with me!

This is too funny, people trying so hard to make a sale can be so frustrating at times. I just smile and think, man I'm glad I don't have to listen to this every day! Hope you're having a great week!

Taryn said...

I did that too. I called and updated my info- and had to listen to the speech too. Oh dear. I am glad I am not alone. They are very persistent.

Lucy Marie said...

Ha! When/if a postcard of this sort arrives for me I will know better than to call!

Leslie G said...

I keep getting these postcards too- though I learned from my neighbor that I would have to sit and listen to some advertising crap if I call. So i haven't yet, and I'm sort of glad!