So, as I said here my goal for The Bix was 1:10:00..... Well I am sorry to say that I failed on that one. I did however run "most" of the entire race, with the exception of two short walks up these two gigantic hills! I mean these babies were enormous! I was not prepared for the hills and those are what kicked my butt.
Warning: This next paragraph might be too much information for some of you, I'm warning you if you read on, I will talk about how I got sick during the race... Proceed with caution!
Before I tell you my real time, I must first tell you why I did not accomplish close to what my goal was.... I did great the first 1/2 of the race (at mile 3.5) I was at 36:06. If I would have kept the same pace throughout the second 1/2, I would have ended with a 1:12:12 which would have been A-OK with me! That would have been great.... However; because I was up at 5:00 am, I was not able to eat anything (I feel sick to my stomach when I wake up that early, weird huh? haha) so, around mile 4-5 I started feeling this "stuff" in my throat.... Well, I kept running and I kept grabbing cups of water as they were offered at about every mile marker.... (Bad Idea Kayla).... An empty stomach, running 7 miles, drowning yourself in water.... Not a good combination. You can see where this is going! So, here I am, I see the sign for the final mile!! I've almost made it I said to myself! I told myself I was not going to walk any of the last mile because I've almost finished and I can do this. Well, I see the sign: 1/8th mile to go! I can't believe I'm almost made it!! Then the "stuff" mentioned above started to continue upwards..... I thought to myself: "This is not happening to me, I'm almost finished! I can make it and finish at 1:12:00! I can do it".... FAIL! I had about 1/16th of a mile to go to the finish line and I had to make a B-line to the curb where I continued to throw up all of the water that was drank the previous 6 miles.... I spent a good 4-5 minutes getting sick, but I got back up and finished the race, that's the proud moment I had! haha I finished sprinting, because I felt so good after getting sick that I had all of this energy left!
So, I finished with an official time of 1:17:30 (or something along those seconds). Not too shabby and I feel that if I wouldn't have gotten sick, I really would have been close to 1:12:00 and I would have been proud of that. Especially since I was not prepared for this race and could not run for the last 3-4 weeks.
All in all it was a great race and I am "fairly" proud of finishing it. We've decided not to do the 1/2 marathon in October, because neither my hubby nor I have the desire to run 13.1 miles ever... 7 was good enough for the both of us. We are going to try and stay on track for the 1/2 marathon just to stay in shape and keep running, but we decided 3 hours post race that neither of us really wanted to do it... :-)
So, my goal for next year's Bix is to be under a 1:10:00 and I know I can do it this time! I will be prepared!
Thanks for all of the well wishes and good luck's! I know it helped, especially on that first 1/2 of the race! :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I think the fact that you finished RUNNING after puking is enough to be proud of! I would have maybe walked the rest of the way!
Yea… I agree with Meredith! So you didn’t make your goal… there is always next time! Be proud of what you did! I wish I could say I did that! :)
Post a Comment