Tuesday, August 25, 2009

My husband saw another side of me...

So yesterday, we headed out to look at a car we've been thinking about buying. We want a car with more room and w/the ability to tow a small boat (in about 3 years).

Anyway, we found one at a local dealership (even though in the past we have always bought private party for a better deal), this was a pretty good deal and we figured we would take it for a spin. We love how it drove, except when we were breaking and the wheel would shimmy just a bit. There were a few scrapes and dents and I'm under the impression that if I'm going to spend X amount on a car, I want it to look nice. So they "said" they could fix all of that.

We were thinking of trading my husbands car in on the deal. We knew before going in that in all actuality his car is worth more than the one we were looking at, just slightly, within about $1000.

After all was said and they came up with a price, they wanted his car +$5000!!! I about fell off my chair.

Me: Yeah sorry you're nowhere close to where we want you to be
Hubby: Can you do better?
{new} Salesmen: Let me go see, what would you like to see different
Me: First of all take the trade out of the deal because that's a terrible price
{new} Salesmen: What did you want to see?
Me: Well, you need to drop the price of the car about $1500 and give us an extra $3000 on the trade
{new} Salesmen: Um, let me go talk to my manager
Hubby to me: You need to give them a chance to do better
Me: He's already wasted my whole Monday night and I would have walked out after the initial price if you would have let me
Hubby: You have to be nicer to them to get them to drop it
Me: I don't NEED to buy a car, they NEED to sell a car

{new} Salesmen: Well, lowest we can go is $250.00 lower on the car
Me: Well, thank you for your time, you're still nowhere close, sorry.
{new} Salesmen: Well we said we'd fix everything you wanted fixed
Me: BEFORE I sign on the dotted line so that it's up to my standards?
{new} Salesmen: We would do it just how you like it after you sign
Me: Of course you would
{new} Salesmen: Well would you like to drive this other particular car
Me: No, I wanted that car and I want to look for another one
{new} Salesmen: Well they would drive the same
Me: That is not the car I want
Hubby: Ok then, she's ready to go (as he continues to argue about the difference between the car we test drove and the car the salesman is trying to get us to drive)

{new} Salesmen's Boss: Well you said you wanted it close to X price....
Me: No, I said I wanted it under X price, sorry.

As Hubby and I left he said, wow you're not very nice in car dealerships, I've never seen that in you.
Me: Well, they wasted my time on a Monday night and treated me like I was stupid, not a good idea.

So needless to say, they did NOT sell the car and I will NEVER purchase from that dealership if I can help it.

6 comments:

Meredith said...

I hate dealerships. At least you negotiated! I'm fairly sure that J didn't negotiate at ALL when he bought our car at the dealership!

B said...

go you! that is awesome. I hate car dealerships. You are totally right in saying you don't need to buy a car from them but they need to sell one to you.

Rachel H. said...

That is so funny! I hate them too, but I don't have much courage. DH has to do the negotiating for us!

Taryn said...

Good for you- walking away is the hardest part for most people- but not you! Good job. (sorry it was a crappy experience though.)

Katie @ Loves of Life said...

that happened to us two years ago!! i was PISSSSSSED!! I become all mean and outspoken. They frustrate me. I will never go back there again!

the mom said...

good work! They always think they can work you over. Good for you for walking out!